Imam Moataz Al-Hallak
He is one of the gems of the larger American Muslim community.
Smart, gentle and ever so clever with his words, Shaykh Moataz Al-Hallak comes packaged with a broad depth of knowledge and wisdom.
Shaykh Moataz was born in Damascus,Syria which was the first station for seeking Islamic knowledge and grew up studying under various scholars in this area, including:
- Abdul-Karim Al-Rifa’i
- Muhammad ‘Awad
- Usamah Al-Rifa’i
- Nur al-din Qurrah Ali
- Jamal Sayrawan
- Abul-Hasan Muhyideen AlKurdi
- Muhammed Sukkar
- Hishaam Sukkar
He memorized the Quran at a young age and received an Ijazah in 1979 from a leading authority in qira’aat.
He has served as an Imam in the US since 1986. Imam Moataz has:
- Founded and built the first full time Islamic school in North Texas
- Founding member of the Islamic Society of Arlington, Texas
- Founding member of several national Islamic organizations
During the course of his community activism, he has been the Imam in Arlington, Texas; Bowie, Maryland; and Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Other than being our Imam, he also currently:
- Serves as an advisory member on the Fatwa standing committee of the Assembly of Muslim Jurists in North America
- Serves on the board of directors of the Islamic Shura Council of South Michigan
- Serves on the board of directors of the Muslim Social Services
Living in Ann Arbor with his wife and five children, he has been serving our community as an Imam since 2005. He loves swimming and reading books in his spare time.