MCA Job Opportunity
1. Office Manager (To apply click here)
Purpose of the Position
In every nonprofit organization, there are many outstanding volunteers who dedicate countless hours to ensure the proper function of the organization and demonstrate a passion and a zeal to fulfill its mission.. The Office Manager at MCA is vital to the function of the MCA and is the sole paid administrative staff at the organization and is ideal for someone who already has a giving spirit. They are responsible for organizing and coordinating office operations and procedures in order to ensure organizational effectiveness and efficiency. This will be a full-time position with an annual compensation dependent on the experience of the incumbent. Ideally it would be someone who has education in business administration and experience with non-profit organization especially masjids. The person has to be self-motivate and demonstrate a deep desire to promote and uphold the vision of the MCA. The person should have a pleasant disposition that invites, recruits and encourages volunteerism at the MCA and has the ability to organize and delegate responsibility to volunteers in an efficient way.
The Office Manager reports to the Secretary of the Executive Committee and is responsible for providing management services to all general body members of the MCA. This includes maintaining office records, facilitating communication between community members, directly assisting EC and BT members, and liaise with external organizations in the locality. The person will also be responsible for developing and maintaining a group of volunteers and have the ability to delegate tasks in an organized and effective manner.
Maintain office services
- Implement office operations and procedures
- Prepare monthly prayer schedules
- Handle telephone, email and letter correspondences
- Forward correspondence to committee chairs as necessary
- Update organizational memberships
- Maintain office equipment
- Liaise with other agencies, organizations and groups
Maintain office records
- Design filing systems
- Ensure filing systems are maintained and up to date
- Scan all documents to enable virtual storage
- Ensure protection and security of files and records
- Ensure availability of files and records to EC members
- Transfer and dispose records according to retention schedules and policies
- Ensure personnel files of employees are up to date and secure
Maintain office efficiency
- Maintain effective communication with all EC members
- Maintain and replenish inventory – books and eating utensils
- Check stock to determine inventory levels
- Anticipate needed supplies
- Verify receipt of supply
Supervise masjid operations
- Monitor janitorial staff
- Assist masjid employees
- Distribute paychecks to masjid employees and Zakah collectors
- Organize masjid calendar
- Update masjid website with event details
- Organize appointments with the imam
Assist EC members with daily activities and organizing events
- Ensure masjid is set up for community events
- Communicate Jumuah fundraising requests
- Assist Imam in community services
- Process Zakah applications
- Process Membership applications
Facilitate Masjid tours
- Engage with interfaith organizations
- Organize Masjid tours
- Recruit volunteers
- Maintain list via various communication modes (whatsapp group, gmail, etc)
- Organize volunteers
- Delegate task to the volunteers
- Engage with interfaith organizations
- Organize Masjid tours
Perform other related duties as required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The incumbent must have proficient knowledge in the following areas:
- knowledge of office administration
- knowledge of human resource management and supervision
- ability to maintain a high level of accuracy in preparing and entering information
- Knowledge of the organization’s values
The incumbent must demonstrate the following skills:
- excellent interpersonal skills
- decision-making skills
- effective organizational skills
- effective written communication skills
- effective verbal and listening communications skills
- computer skills, including:
- spreadsheet and word processing programs of Microsoft Office
- Google Drive for cooperative tools
- Website updates using wordpress blogs
- e-mail design at a highly proficient level
- attention to detail and high level of accuracy
- stress management skills
- time management skills
The incumbent must maintain strict confidentiality in performing the duties of Zakah related transaction. The incumbent must also demonstrate the following personal attributes:
- Possess a belief and commitment to the MCA mission
- Motivated working for a nonprofit organization
- be honest and trustworthy
- be respectful
- possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
- be flexible
- demonstrate sound work ethics
2. Assistant Imam
- Deliver Jummah Khutbah, Taraweeh, khatira’s and lead five daily prayers.
- Performs Imam’s role when Imam is out of office
- Provide Hadith studies, Seerah and Fiqh lessons, and other Islamic topics to increase knowledge and provide for spiritual growth of community members
- Develop and implement educational and extracurricular programs for the youth, includes indoor and outdoor.
- Work with Muslim Student Associations and develop programs to attract youth to the masjid.
- Offer youth counseling and guidance as needed.
- Perform Youth Director(YD) activities outlined in YD section below.
- Actively participate in interfaith and other outreach activities
- This position requires to live close to the masjid for quick and easy masjid reach-ability.
- This position reports to VP and a BT(Board of Trustee) member, with a close coordination with the Sr/Director Imam.
- Maintain regular and convenient office hours at the Mosque for community members to seek religious counsel and guidance.
- Interact with all persons and organizations, Muslim and Non-Muslim, in a manner that reflects positively on the Mosque.
- Continually strive and conduct oneself in ways that foster unity and a sense of inclusion among all community members, and promote broad participation in Islamic and community activities.
- Lead by example to prevent discrimination on any basis including but not limited to school of thought, gender, race, nationality, ethnic origin, citizenship, political affiliation, or economic status.
- Conduct oneself in a manner that is respectful of the history and diversity of the Muslim community.
- Ability to interact with, teach, and relate to all age groups in the community (children, youth, elders, etc.)
- Ability to work with people of different cultures and backgrounds. Experience in family/youth counseling, conflict prevention, and resolution.
- Administer, attend and supervise social and recreational activities for youth.
- Conceive, plan and manage Youth workshops/seminars.
- Administer, attend and supervise weekly Youth Educational Programs.
- Conduct/attend meetings with mentors, youth advisers and coordinator.
- Solicit and recruit community members for successful implementation of the programs.
- Respond appropriately to all inquiries, referencing/utilizing/coordinating with the MCA(Muslim Community of Ann Arbor) Director-Imam, regarding Islamic matters (jurisprudence, advice, etc) and issues that are raised by the community’s youth.
- Deliver occasional youth-oriented Friday sermons/talks/presentations at MCA in coordination with the Director-Imam (Male Youth Director Only).
- Attend MCA community dinners, fundraisers, picnics, and quarterly general body meetings.
- Upon Approval, attend professional development and training seminars.
- Attend all Youth Planning Sub-Committee meetings.
- Keep an open line of communication with the Director-Imam, Education, and Dawah chair.
- Minimum Required Qualifications
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Islamic Studies or any related field from a recognized institution.
- Ijazah (license) to teach various Islamic sciences, such as Tajweed, Fiqh, etc.
- Spoken and written fluency in English and Arabic (Fusha/Quranic)
- Hafiz (Having Memorized the entire Quran) Qari (Having Ijaza to recite the Quran in one or more of the Qira`at/Tajweed styles
- Candidate must be US Citizen to apply
- Fluent in English and Arabic at minimum