Muslim Community Association of Ann Arbor (MCA) is actively seeking an Imam in a leadership role to fulfill the spiritual and social needs of our diverse community. MCA was founded in 1972 by a group of dedicated Muslims for the specific purpose of practicing, propagating, and preserving Islam and Islamic heritage and to serve the needs of Muslims, be they, religious, social, cultural, or educational. It is imperative that the new incoming Imam can effectively engage and communicate with a diverse community.
Interested applicants must submit their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Jazak’Allah Khair for your interest.
- Sound knowledge of the Qur’an, Hadith, and Fiqh.
- Recitation of the Qur’an with proper Tajweed.
- Memorized the Qur’an or a good portion of it.
- Fluent in Arabic and English (spoken and written).
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Religion, Islamic Studies, or a combination of relevant studies from an accredited institution.
- A broad approach to differences of opinion in fiqh and able to obtain fiqh opinions from scholars as needs arise.
- Ability to work with brothers and sisters from diverse segments such as youth, students, professionals, and families.
- Understands the challenges of American Muslims and can provide for their spiritual growth through educational programs and other activities.
- At least 5 years of experience as an Imam, Assistant Imam, or Resident Scholar in North America.
- Approachable, i.e., dedicated office hours, availability via phone/email/office visit.
- The ability of conflict mitigation and consensus building.
- Experience in youth, pre-marital/marital, and spiritual counseling.
- Conduct fundraisers during Ramadan.
- Present in the masjid for at least 8 hours and otherwise be available as necessary.
- A collaborative relationship with the Executive Committee and Board of Trustees.
- Authorized to work in the United States.
Minimum Roles and Responsibilities:
The Imam is expected to:
- Lead daily prayers and give Khaterahs (small talks).
- Conduct and lead Khutbahs and prayer for Jumu’ah, Eid, Qiyam, etc.
- Conduct, organizes, and delivers educational programs, including but not limited to reminders (khawaatir), halaqas, classes, and workshops
- Conduct funeral prayer and guidance.
- Conduct pre-matrimonial counseling and perform Nikkah’s contract.
- Offer Islamic family and youth counseling and guidance.
- Invites speakers for programs/seminars in coordination with respective committees.
- Work on increasing knowledge and providing for the spiritual growth of community members.
- Serve as an advisor to the Sunday School, after school, Hifz, and Nazira programs.
- Prepare and manage an annual Ramadan program that is inspiring and uplifting.
- Develop and create more opportunities for sisters to get involved through organizing and facilitating events & activities such as educational, spiritual, and social.
- Participate in community activities that further good interfaith and public relations for Islam and Muslims.
- Attend Executive Committee meetings and provide active input and participation in its decisions and programs.
- Attend MCA community dinners, guest programs, fundraisers, picnics, and general body meetings.
- Develop and implement an educational program for new Muslims and non-
- Serves as liaison between Masjid and Islamic School.
- Knowledge of computer and social media.
- Publish Islamic literature/articles.
Youth/Student Development & Support
- Provides mentorship and tarbiyah to youth and college students through social engagement and relationship building.
- Recruits and engages youth and college students in participating through committees and other means.
- Accessible after prayers, during programs, and during set office hours.
- Provides spiritual guidance and support to youth and college students on matters such as relationship challenges and faith struggles.
- Guides and supports the youth committee on their programming and goals.
- Offers leadership and character development to the youth.
- Mentoring younger students of knowledge/youth director/assistant imam.
Community Development & Support
- Provides spiritual guidance and support on matters such as relationship challenges and faith struggles, particularly for families, converts, and working professionals.
- Works with related MCA committees to identify and leverage additional support resources (e.g., abuse, psychological counseling).
- Leads marriages and funerals and assists with related counseling and life events (e.g., pre-marital, bereavement, and hospital visits).
- Attends monthly meetings with the Executive Board to provide feedback and guidance on program development and the community’s overall direction.
- Develops and fosters a relationship with (city officials, law enforcement, neighbors, university administration, and other local interfaith and intra-faith organizations).
- Supports efforts to introduce Islam to the groups mentioned above, such as Islam 101, hosting visitors at the masjid, speaking on panels, or delivering presentations.
- Serves as a spokesperson on relevant matters, appearing in the media as needed.
- Guides and supports MCA Committees on community service initiatives.
- Invests time in continuing education and learning.
- Attends workshops/training as approved and funded by MCA, including but not limited to religious knowledge, community development, pastoral care, and or leadership skills.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and education.
Position is available until filled.